Instagram recently announced a new feature to their popular social media platform called IGTV. The new platform is designed specifically for long-form video content, and because it’s brand new, now is a great time for small businesses to get in on the action and build a following before it’s flooded with millions of other content creators. Here’s the lowdown on what makes IGTV unique and how you can take advantage of it.
What Makes IGTV Different?
You were already able to post videos up to 60 seconds on Instagram and post live video feeds, but the nature of Instagram is that people scroll through posts in their feeds quickly and don’t take the time to watch longer content. Meanwhile, Instagram Stories expire after 24 hours, hitting that need for instant gratification that’s quickly forgotten.
IGTV aims to be different by allowing users to create long-form video up to 10 minutes in length that has a permanent home and can be watched over and over. This places IGTV in direct competition with YouTube. There are a few key difference, though.
- IGTV is designed to show vertically oriented video instead of the traditional horizontally oriented format.
- YouTube is already glutted with content creators, making it hard to build a following if you don’t already have a well established YouTube channel.
- Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform, so IGTV is likely to grow fast, and “first-movers” have a better chance of building a big following.
How to Get Started
To start creating content, you can either download the dedicated IGTV app or simply click on the orange IGTV icon at the top of your feed through the standard Instagram app. Next, create a channel and your'e ready to upload a video.
Once you get your first video up, it will be accessible to the growing audience on IGTV. Users will be able to follow their favorite creators (hopefully, including you), leave comments on videos, and then get new video queued up to them based on their viewing habits.
As of now, there is no paid media option for IGTV, so businesses can’t “boost” a post. That means all video content is organic, which is actually a good thing. Create a video now before IGTV monetizes their platform and your content is there right alongside content from other video creators.
Video Ideas for Your Business
Okay, so IGTV is primed to be the next hot thing on social media, but what sort of video content can your business create to take advantage of it? Here are a handful of ideas to get you started.
- Shoot a behind the scenes tour of your business
- Create a “How it’s Made” video featuring one of your products
- Do a Q&A with your staff or favorite customers
- Create a tutorial that shows viewers how to do something that’s related to your business
The idea is to create content that personalizes your business and helps you connect with customers, so start there and go with whatever creative ideas you have. Since IGTV is brand new, now's the time to experiment, have some fun, and see what works.