Learn how SpotOn can streamline your review management process with our groundbreaking customer engagement tools:
What is Online Review Management?
Online review management is the process of monitoring reviews of your business on sites like Yelp and TripAdvisor and taking appropriate actions to protect and improve your online reputation.
Today, 92% of consumers regularly read business reviews on sites like Yelp, TripAdvisor, Facebook, and Google. In fact, the number of reviews posted every minute by Yelp users is 26,380.
Your Online Reputation Matters
Rather than simply ranting or raving to friends in person, customers now choose to share their experiences online.
- 85% of consumers trust online reviews as much as recommendations from a friend or a family member
- Positive reviews make 73% of consumers trust a local business more
- 49% of consumers need at least a four-star rating before they choose to use a business
- A recent Harvard Business School study by Michael Luca found that independent restaurants experience a boost in revenue by 5 to 9 percent when their Yelp score goes up by one full star.
- The average online consumer trusts social proof (reviews) 12x more than a manufacturer’s description & Reviews from experts and celebrity endorsements are less trusted than online reviews
- Consumers read an average of 7 reviews before trusting a business
- 88% of online shoppers incorporate reviews into their purchase decision
- Ask Your Best customers to Leave Reviews: 7 out of 10 consumers will leave a review for a business if they’re asked to.
- Claim Your Business Page on Sites Where Your Business is Most Popular: The three online review platforms with the most global traffic are Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Foursquare, and nearly one-third of all Google searches are related to location.
- Respond to All Reviews- Positive or Negative: Responding to reviews is more important than ever, with 30% naming this as key when judging local businesses. In fact, 42% expect a response to negative reviews within an hour. 95% of unhappy customers will return to your business if an issue is resolved quickly and efficiently.
- Use Software Tools Like SpotOn Core to Streamline Review Management: Our review management software included with SpotOn Core makes it easy to not only monitor your reputation, but improve it.
- Don’t Pay for Reviews: Never pay a third party company to write reviews for your business. It’s dishonest, and in the best case scenario a waste of time and money, as all the major review sites have filters that detect and remove fake reviews. Don’t incentivize or in any way reward customers for leaving reviews. It violates the content guidelines of most review sites and is potentially illegal.
- Don’t Post Fake Reviews: Consumers are getting better at sorting the real reviews from the fake reviews and will catch on when businesses hire people to write fake reviews, or resort to other automated, non-organic means of cultivating a positive reputation. Only authentic reviews will do.95% of consumers suspect censorship or faked reviews when they don’t see bad scores.
- Don’t Write Angry Responses to Negative Reviews: A recent TripAdvisor study indicated that 64% of their users said that an aggressive or defensive management response to a bad review deters them from visiting that business. Use negative reviews as an opportunity to make your business better—remember, perception can sometimes be the reality of your business.